Asalam-alaykum! Welcome to my blog. I write, speak and consult on Islam to remove misconceptions, build bridges and break down barriers to peaceful coexistence. As a consultant I am here to assist you in your journey towards Islam and to provide you with guidance, signposting and support for personal development.
I have lectured on Islam and Muslim affairs extensively in the UK and abroad and have long held a personal and active interest in faith and inter-faith issues. I bring to the table many years of experience of interfaith work at grass roots level combined with research and study of religious traditions. My research interests include Quranic studies, Muslim-Christian Dialogue, Interfaith Studies, and World Religions.
EDUCATION On the education front, I have an MBA from Birmingham City University and a Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing from the Chartered Institute of Marketing. On account of my professional achievements I have been awarded the CIM Chartered Marketer status.
PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE I have more than twenty years experience of working with community organisations and also an interest and specialism in working with black and minority ethnic communities in the United Kingdom, including Muslim communities and organisations. I have direct experience of establishing, maintaining and developing community partnerships on behalf of public organisations and a track record of successful delivery of communication and engagement campaigns. Prior to independent consulting, I worked in various social marketing roles in the UK and managed diversity and social cohesion programmes at Focus Consultancy, working for Professor Chris Mullard, Britain’s leading authority on Race Relations.
PAST ASSIGNMENTS My past assignments have been with the likes of UK Department for Education & Skills, The Change Institute, UK, Essex County Council, UK Learning & Skills Council, The Home Office, UK, Arts Council of England, British Army, UK Department of Health, UK National Blood Service, International Association For Religious Freedom, UK, The Environment Council, UK, People for Action, UK, and The Housing Corporation, and Citizen Watch Company, Japan. I have also been appointed as the Country Chair (Pakistan) for the 8th, 9th and 10th editions of the Global Islamic Marketing Conference organised by the International Islamic Marketing Association.
PUBLICATIONS I regularly write on Faith and Interfaith issues. My writings have been published in leading local and international periodicals such as:
Meeting Spiritual Needs of Learners in FE – An Islamic Perspective, (Journal of Chaplaincy in Further Education, London, Vol 2, No. 2, Autumn, 2006)
Qur’anic Concept of Love, (Nasihah, The Official Newsletter of The Islamic Society of Rutgers University, Volume 2 Issue II Apr./May. 2001)
Status of Parents in Al Qur’an (Aalulbayt Global Information Centre, 1997)
Status of Women – As Seen From The Qur’an (Islamisk Studiebogssamlings, Copenhagen, Denmark, 1998)
Why Islam is Against Antisemitism? (San Diego Jewish World, 26 December, 2009)
The Labour of Love (The Nation, March 14, 2012)
The Neglected Prayer (DAWN, June 6, 2014)
The Danger of Cults (DAWN, January 1, 2016)
Genuine vs Fake (DAWN, February 12, 2016)
Climate Crises (DAWN, June 17, 2016)
A New Life (DAWN, September 9, 2016)
Man or Beast? (DAWN, November 18, 2016)
Shopping Mania (DAWN, April 21, 2017)
A Diverse World DAWN, June 16, 2017
Pilgrimage of heart DAWN, August 25, 2017
Faithful Foreigners DAWN, February 23, 2018
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS I have delivered talks at numerous International events and conferences such as:
- “Social Media – Use it! Don’t Abuse it!” 8th Global Islamic Marketing Conference, Alanya, Turkey, May 2017
- “Be A Hero” – FOSIS Annual Winter Conference, University of Bradford, UK, December 2016
- “Why Islamic Marketing is About Principles And Not Profits?” 4th Global Islamic Marketing Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, May 2013
- “Panelist at Keynote session” 2nd Global Islamic Marketing Conference, Abu Dhabi, UAE, 2012
- “The Moral Case For Diversity”, HR Summit, University of Karachi, Department of Public Administration, December, Karachi, Pakistan 2011
- “Muslims and Education” Kairos Study Day, Bordesley Centre, Birmingham, UK, 2007
- “Spiritual and Moral Development at Colleges of Further Education: Muslim, Christian and Humanist Panel Discussion”, FiFEF Chaplaincy Conference, York, UK, 2006
- “Understanding the needs of Muslim students in British Education” Chaplain’s Training Conference, Leamington Spa, UK, 2006
- “Multifaith student support” Chaplaincy Conference, Filton College, Bristol, UK, 2006
- “Adoption and Fostering – a Muslim Perspective” Birmingham City Council: Adoption & Fostering Conference, Aston Villa Football Club, Birmingham, UK, 2004
- “Keynote speaker for Annual Ramadan lecture” Islamic Student Society, University of Warwick, UK, 2003
- “E-learning” IARF 31st World Congress, Budapest, Hungary 2002